What is AB-1369?
It requires the California Superintendent of Public Instruction to develop, and to complete in time for the 2017–18 academic year, program guidelines for dyslexia to be used by schools.
When does it go into effect?
Beginning in the 2017-2018 academic year.
Who is affected by AB-1369?
- Regular education teachers
- Special education teachers
- Students with dyslexia
What will the guidelines cover?
- Identifying and assessing pupils with dyslexia
- Planning educational services as to students with dyslexia
- Providing educational services as to students with dyslexia
- Evaluating educational services as to students with dyslexia
- Improving educational services as to students with dyslexia
How will this get to schools?
The bill requires the Superintendent to disseminate the program guidelines through the State Department of Education’s website and provide technical assistance regarding their use and implementation to specified persons.
What are schools required to do?
Schools are required to comply with existing laws for identifying, locating, assessing, and providing education and related services to students with learning disabilities. AB-1369 provides guidance on how schools can better meet these requirements.
Click HERE to see the full text of AB-1369.